I bought this skirt about 1 year ago. I’ve worn it once. It had a little stain on the back, and it has sat in my wardrobe for months, me not quite wanting to throw it out, just in case I think of something to do with it….
And then, I realized, it would be so much fun to make a handbag with it!
It took me a while to get the bottom even. I rushed into it and hacked it all off, as usual. But after a bit of careful cutting it straightened up!
Because the skirt was quite gathered, it stuck out a bit pointedly on each side, after I had sewn up the bottom. So I stitched up each side, angling slightly, to even it out a bit. This worked very well.
Because I had sewed the lining on so messily, I had to sew a band around the top. I broke 2 sewing machine needles doing it!
But it was worth it, because it made it look MUCH tidier.
I sewed it on very carefully, and tucked it under neatly, and pinned it, because this is the top, visible edge.
For decoration, I stitched a chain along the front.
You could add anything, lace, fabric flowers, buttons, ribbon, etc.
The handle was quite easy. I hand stitched the handles onto the bag, because my sewing machine couldn’t manage.
Also, I didn’t take pictures of this, but when my lining was sewn on, I pinned some makeshift handles on to test the length. I noticed that the bag was slightly too long, so it was a bit floppy.
I turned it inside out and stitched up each side again, and cut the excess off, like I did before. This time, though, the lining was already on and so I had to neaten up some raw edged with a simple zig-zag stitch.
It looks fine, though. Just it might be a good idea to check if your skirt is the right width BEFORE you put the lining on…unlike me who never think ahead very much lol.
And here was my finished product:
I’m pretty pleased with it!
If I made it again it would probably turn out a lot neater, though. This one is definitely full of little mistakes.
But my sisters are already asking for it, so it can’t be too bad!